Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

8th Grade: Abstraction of Memories on a Bottle



I started the lesson by asking students to close their eyes and think about their favorite memory. I had them think about the smells, people, what they saw, and the environment. I asked them to draw the memory on paper any way they like. I had them share if they liked, one student shared her experience in Africa. Wow!

We've learned about abstract artists such as Picasso and Kandinsky and identified ways to abstract a work of art. I then had the students draw their artwork a second time and abstract it they way they liked, some students flattened shapes, exaggerated figures, and used unnatural color.

I showed a short power point on the history of mosaics, and how artists use mosaics in modern day. I showed images of Magic Garden on South Street in philadelphia PA, a location very assessable to the students. (clip below)
Love the use of mixed media! 

After I felt the students understood mosaics, their favorite memory, and how to execute it in a abstract way. I had the students select their color palette using paint chips that I've provides in a variety of colors ( Free at Home Depot! ). They cut them up into different shapes, and used Elmer's glue to apply them to a bottle that they've chosen. I collect a variety of bottles, and had over 130. I wanted to incorporate what we learned about the Magic Garden's in Philly, and use glass as the surface, especial because it isn't flat!

The outcome was AMAZING!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment